RICHARDS BAY – Netcare 911 is attending to multiple pupils after a suspected gas leak in Richards Bay.
Netcare’s Shaun Herbst said they received multiple calls on Monday morning for children and adults that were collapsing, having difficulty breathing, nausea and vomiting.
“We dispatched multiple emergency vehicles, ambulance response vehicles to the scene. We went through to a high school that was quite prominent with the number of people collapsing,” he said.
Herbst said the people affected were transported to local hospitals for treatment.
The exact number of people affected has not been confirmed.
The KwaZulu-Natal Education Department said it’s deploying a team to the school.