Ukraine: Footage shows destroyed animal shelters
Sign up for our news briefing, including a daily special Russia-Ukraine edition
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Pentagon sources have said the invading forces are “walking away from the Chernobyl facility” and are headed to Belarus, having captured the site on February 24 when they first entered Ukraine.
The US believe that Putin is not withdrawing his forces but is instead redistributing them as his invasion fails to make significant progress after they were faced with fierce resistance from Ukraine.
There were initial fears heavy fighting around the plant could spark another nuclear catastrophe, reported The Sun, as it still holds dangerous radioactive material.
Ukrainian officials lost contact with Chernobyl after the Russians took it over, however the US official said that soldiers had been seen “walking away” from the power plant.
They said: “Chernobyl isarea where they [the Russians] are beginning to reposition some of their troops.
“[The Russians are] leaving, walking away from the Chernobyl facility and moving into Belarus.
Russian troops are reportedly walking away from Chernobyl and heading towards Belarus (Image: Getty)
Russian forces first entered Chernobyl when they invaded Ukraine (Image: Twitter)
“We think that they are leaving. I can’t tell you that they’re all gone.”
Pentagon press secretary John Kirby said on Wednesday that many Russian troops around Kyiv have been seen heading north in the direction of Belarus.
He said “We don’t know exactly where these troops are going to go”, but believed that Putin is using the opportunity to resupply and reposition his army.
There have been fears of another nuclear disaster in the area (Image: Twitter)
Chernobyl still contains a lot of radioactive material (Image: Getty)
Putin is now said to be concentrating his efforts on “liberating” the Donbas region in eastern Ukraine.
He announced on Friday that Russia had mostly completed the first phase of its “military operation”, as it was speculated that the Russian leader “may be switching to more limited goals”, according to Al Jazeera.
Head of the Russian General Staff’s Main Operational Directorate Sergei Rudskoi said: “The main objectives of the first stage of the operation have generally been accomplished.
Could Russia split up the ISS? How Putin could pull out of SPACE law [SPOTLIGHT]
Putin humiliated as Chechen warlord leader breaks ranks [INSIGHT]
Ukraine peace talks: Putin mulling ‘harder’ attacks as he takes stock [INSIDER]
President Zelensky spoke at the 35th anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster last year (Image: Getty)
“The combat potential of the Armed Forces of Ukraine has been considerably reduced, which…makes it possible to focus our core efforts on achieving the main goal, the liberation of Donbas.”
He also claimed that Russia had “practically” destroyed the Ukrainian air force, anti-aircraft defences and the navy.
The Russian defence ministry said that Russian-backed separatists control 93 percent of Luhansk and 54 percent of Donetsk, the regions that make up the Donbas.
IPSO Regulated Copyright ©2022 Express Newspapers. “Daily Express” is a registered trademark. All rights reserved.